Monday, March 7, 2011

It's March Already?

I know...  It's been a while...  A LONG while.  I'm sorry, readers.  I've kind of been on a "bender" of sorts.  No, there's not been any liquor involved (I'm not sure if that part is good or bad but I guess it is what it is) but I have been pretty out of sorts.

I'm pretty certain that there comes a time in everybody's life where everything just seems so overwhelming.  It's hard to feel like you're in control, which in reality, you're not.  That fact is very unnerving to me.  To feel completely out of control and so unsure of anything and everything...  I forget that with my faith, it is these times that I should be lifting my worries up to God & letting Him handle them because after all, He is the one that is really in control.

I'm struggling a lot with what information to include in this blog.  I really don't have a problem with sharing different tidbits of information but there are other people in my life that feel that personal information & venting should be done in private and not in a public forum.  I find that it can be helpful for me to write my thoughts down "on paper" and share certain things with others to obtain a different point of view and perhaps some advice.  For things that I believe too personal to share with just anybody (especially on a public blog where most people know exactly who I am), I do have a private blog but I hate to keep so many of you in the dark (assuming, of course, you actually enjoy reading my "real" thoughts!).

I would like to be able to write about how I really feel and not worry about people being upset with me.  I feel as though people believe Facebook should only be for the "happy" things in life and never to vent or voice your opinion about a personal situation.  I don't want to just write about the "happy" things.  That's not being true to myself or being honest with those around me.

I do agree that you shouldn't bash people publically on Facebook (for example, to have your status be:  My [sister, brother, mother, father, spouse] is such a/an [insert name-calling here]!  I can't believe [he/she] [insert exactly what they did here]!) , however I feel that it is ok to state that you're frustrated/upset with someone (leaving them nameless) & to vent a little.  It gives your friends an opportunity to share some perspective & support your way.  I know I could use all the support I can get.

So what do you think?  What would you consider to be too personal to share through a public blog?  Where do you think the line should be drawn?  Is it ok to write about your encounters with other people as long as you don't include their names?

Feel free to share this blog with others!  I'd like as many opinions as I can get!

1 comment:

FarmerLenny said...

Facebook doesn't convey emotions very well, and you have a good point that most of what's on there is "happy." Facebook is a shallow medium, I think.

In response to your question, my personal practice is not to share anything in anger on Facebook, even if specifics aren't given. People can often fill in the gaps (or if they can't, they think they can, or can imagine the worst), and I've found it's better to let off steam in a less public forum or to let things sit before I talk about them. A blog is a better place to release steam--at least you can get more of your thoughts out than 140 characters--but I find it's best to blog when I'm calmer as well. (I've gotten into trouble by posting in anger in the past; sleeping on my post could have defused the situation, but I worsened it by my haste.)

But frustrations with situations, calls for prayer--things that aren't directed at specific people: I think Facebook could use more of this. We aren't always happy, and Facebook presents a happy facade that doesn't reflect the truth and depth of people.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :-)