Saturday, January 15, 2011

Finally!

Sorry it's been so long...  I've been really busy & completly stressed...  I don't know how we're going to make it work but we have to so I guess it will just happen.

I'm currently working on my volunteer shift until 7am since our Dublin office is closed...  I'm a little tired but excited to be working about 10 hours of overtime this weekend.

For those of you who don't know, on December 27th, my husband was hit by a stupid driver.  The driver hit my 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier on the passenger side rear wheelbase.  He hit my husband so hard that the bumper cover thing (the piece of plastic over the actual bumper material) flew off the rear of the car, attached by only a small piece of plastic on the driver's side of the car.  While putting the Cavalier up on the tow, the bumper cover came off completly. 

At the tow yard:  This is a photo of where the driver hit my car...
Thankfully, even though the car fishtailed pretty wildly in the morning rush hour traffic, my husband was able to control the vehicle & bring it to a stop before colliding with oncoming traffic and nobody was injured.  It was also really nice that we weren't at fault and the gentleman had valid insurance so we would be covered.

Unfortunately, this meant a couple of things...

1)  We now needed a rental car

Ugly Chevrolet HHR

2)  The Cavalier was probably going to be totalled so that means a new car or an old car with double gas & more maintenance.

So we waited 24 hours before calling his insurance company to obtain the adjuster information & find out where we go from here.  When I called on Tuesday, the guy who was at fault hadn't filed a claim with the insurance company yet!  I panicked for a moment until the lady told me that I could file it for him.  So I did.  After a week or so, we were able to received more information and found out that the Cavalier was declared a total loss.  We found out the settlement amount and began our search for a new car.

Oh, yeah..  On Monday, January 3rd, Mike was told that they were cutting down his hours to part time.  Yeah.

So we were able to find a car, stop paying the rental (which will be reimbursed, thank God) & have finally received the paperwork for the total loss and settlement. 

Our New Car!  A 2010 Chrysler Sebring
I have said goodbye to my Cavalier and actually found myself tearing up a little.  Mike didn't make fun of me though!  It's been my car since I was 19 years old.  My first major purchase.  My mother helped me with it on numerous occasions and it's been a "family friend" for all those years!
I would post a final photo of the Cavalier but this program isn't giving it the proper tribute...  I guess I will try again later.

I hope you're all doing well this new year.  I will write again soon!
 

Creative Commons License

No comments: