Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy New Year/I Need Help Being Cheap - I Mean Frugal!!

Happy New Year!  My first post of 2011 and already, something interesting to write!

So New Year's Eve was pretty uneventful (which was both good & bad) and New Year's Day was spent hanging out with someone I haven't seen in a while - about 2-3 years.  It was really great.  I don't really remember why we stopped talking although it probably had a lot to do with the fact that she was friends with my ex & I didn't really want to be around him and the fact that I'm terrible at keeping in touch.

Anyone else have that problem?

So onto me needing to be cheap!

Last Monday, my husband was in an accident.  It wasn't his fault (thank God) & he wasn't injured (thank God even more for that!).  Unfortunately, the way the guy hit us, the car is falling apart and will probably be totalled (the responsible party is dragging his feet and we don't have any information as to whether or not they'll fix it or total it) which is good & bad.  It's good because we wanted to get a new car anyway.  What's bad is the fact that we are unable to get financing and can't really afford a new car - payments and all - anyway.

Of course, this means that we have to rent a car & although we'll be reimbursed, it's still $500 so far.  Thank God we've been a bit frugal lately and had the money aside for an anniversary weekend that I was planning.  Of course, rent is now going to be late and we have some upcoming bills to pay since that's what happens every month.

Now for needing to be really cheap....  My husband was just notified today that the company is "temporarily" putting most employees on part-time employment.  Starting tomorrow, my husband will work 4 hours a day, 5 days a week.  Yup.  That's right.  The promotion that he just got less than a month ago...  He'll keep doing the same thing (which is good since he enjoys it) but now he'll be part-time.  He was offered an opportunity to go back to telemarketing but that's a lower guaranteed hourly wage & it would be part-time anyway.

So yeah..  It looks like Ramen, rice and beans for us!  It's going to be a looooooong year.

I do find myself trying to be optimistic...  Here are my thoughts:
  • You should always celebrate new opportunities
  • At least with his new schedule (which he got to pick) I won't have to sit at work for hours before my shift begins
  • He'll be able to spend more time with our dogs
Yeah.  *sigh*

Creative Commons License
I Just Want to Be Ok by Sarah A. Manning is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

1 comment:

FarmerLenny said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this! I will be praying for you guys.

If you need help being frugal, Abby and I are champion cheapskates. Our first year of marriage was mostly grilled cheese and ramen, so we can relate.